Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ron English at Delay No Mall, Hong Kong

I have just relocated to Hong Kong and the first store I checked out was Delay No Mall in Causeway Bay. Was thrilled to find out that Ron English is having a signing on the evening of 10 Jan 2009. Made it a point to attend since I have always like Ron's colourful but yet political paintings.



Left the office and rushed to the store. Ron English was signing at the store where a number of his tees, toys, merchandise (cups, wallets, bags) were on display. The main centrepiece was the collection of Abraham Obama vinyl busts in the middle of the room. Ron is a soft-spoken guy and he did not say much. He was signing toy figures, the Obama busts and the Obama prints.



Ron spent an hour and a half to paint on a live model as well. While it was great for me to see him painting live, this did not bear well with the crowd and most of them left halfway through. Although the room was packed, I had the feeling majority of the people had no idea who he is or what he had achieved. I guessed the organiser felt the same way, because he had to tell Ron to cut short the live painting since there were still some fans waiting around for him to sign their toys.




I left the store with 2 of his mini-figures, a Abraham Obama vintage bronze bust and a signed print. I did not even say a word to him as I was awestruck to be in the presence of a legend. I am just happy I had the chance to shake his hands and posed for a pic. That pic will be kept forever.

No comments: